Friday 17 February 2012

Ebb and Flow of My Mood

I was in the pub, chatting to a mate the other day. He asked me "How are Watford doing?". I always find it hard to answer this. Yes, it's easy to rattle through some recent results, however it's hard to paint the full picture of my current mood as a Watford fan. Recent results do effect this, but there are many reasons, from many games that have resulted in my mood at any given point. I don't have the time to say a thousand words to paint the picture I want... not after a couple of beers.

So... I had a go at painting a picture, well a graph. I call it my 'Football Fan Mood Graph'.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Here's how it works.

If we win we go up 1, if we lose we go down 1 and if we draw we stay where we were. 

You'll notice it's a continuum and doesn't distinguish between league or cup. My mood doesn't change just because we won or lost in the cup - a win is a win and a lose is a lose.

Of course there are other ways I could present my mood. I could generate a win percentage (PCT) like american sports:

                         Wins           =   10  = 0.322
Total No Games       31

Of course I should also times that by 100 to get a percentage, but for some reason Americans don't do it. And they don't do draws and my positivity is definitely higher than 32% (Yes, I have timed it by 100 and rounded to 2 decimal places - it doesn't take long Yanks!).

I could track the clubs league position throughout the season. The new BBC Sport website has some great new features and this is one of them:


Again this doesn't reflect my mood as well as my 'Football Fan Mood Graph'.

So here it is, my new invention, a 'Football Fan Mood Graph'. Is it interesting and useful? Probably just for me!

Cheers

Jon

---
Download the latest podcast via iTunesPlus, get FTRE blog posts sent straight to your inbox. Simply enter your email address in the "Subscribe by Email" box in the right hand column near the top of this page. Or if you're really technical you can use this RSS code.

No comments:

Post a Comment